Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Praying to Our Father in Secret


"And when ye pray, you shall not be as the hypocrites, that love to stand and pray in the synagogues and corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men: Amen I say to you, they have received their reward. But thou when thou shalt pray, enter into thy chamber, and having shut the door, pray to thy Father in secret: and thy Father who seeth in secret will repay thee."  Thus says Our Lord, as passed down to us in Matthew 6:5,6 (Douay Rheims). 

In her popular Catholic blog, "The Path Less Taken," Mary O'Regan offers a meditation on these words, and the difficulties and obstacles to praying in secret in today's busy world.  She writes: Taking a very literal approach, my mind came up with scenarios which prevent one from fulfilling Our Lord's call, and I fixed upon Our Lord's fatherly directive, "go to your room," which would be peculiar sounding to many millennials I've known who move out of home, congregate in big cities, and cannot find or afford a room of their own." 

To Mary, the idea of praying the Rosary in secret seemed "far-fetched."  That is, until she read the book How to Pray the Secret Rosary, which I recently published.  She explains clearly, probably more clearly that I do in my book, how one can pray the Rosary without using the beads, and without counting the Hail Mary's. In fact, I think I should have titled the book How to Pray the Rosary Secretly

Click Here to check out her excellent article. 




No comments:

Post a Comment